Advocates College V Cohort
NEW - Race, Inequality and Immigration
- Frank Gilliam: Architecture of A New Racial Discourse
- PSU: You Can Get There From Here
- Shenker-Osorio: Narrowing the Gap, Leveling the Field
- Poverty and Race through a Belongingness Lens, john powell
- Shenker-Osorio: Applying What We Know
- Chart: Shenker-Osorio Models of Inequality
- Executive Summary: Don’t Always Stay on Message: Using Strategic Framing to Move the Public Discourse On Immigration
- Don’t Stay on Message: What 8,000 Respondents Say about Using Strategic Framing to Move the Public Discourse on Immigration http://www.frameworksinstitute.org/assets/files/Immigration/dont_stay_on_message_values_11_2013.pdf
- The Lost Art of the Democratic Narrative: Story Time—Robert Reich
- Your Brain Lies To You—Sam Wang and Sandra Aamodt
- Framing: More than a Message—Larry Wallack
- When Facts Backfire and more recent articles here and here.
- Debunking myths
- Topos on Framing
- Framing Public Issues
For the deep divers – all the original Government research reports:
- Session 1 homework due Oct. 8.
- Session 2 homework: Read the race, inequality and immigration papers linked in the readings section and work on your letter to the editor. You can submit your letter to Janet and Matt for feedback if you'd like. We'll also provide direct feedback from last session's homework in early November if you'd like.
- Final homework - prepare your message boxes for your video interviews!
5. Your cohort
|Justin||Buri||Community Alliance of Tenantsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ranfis||Villatoro||Voz Workers’ Rights Education Project (Voz)||email@example.com|
|Jordan||Davis||Portland Community Reinvestment Initiatives, Inc.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rebecca||Wetherby||Fair Housing Council||RWetherby@fhco.org|
|Orion||Lumiere||Community Alliance of Tenantsemail@example.com|
|Jolynn||Davison||Habitat for Humanity of Oregonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elizabeth||Seaberry||Partners for a Hunger Free Oregonemail@example.com|
|Rae Anne||Lafrenz||Interfaith Movement for Immigrant Justice – IMIrJfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tia||Henderson||Upstream Public Healthemail@example.com|
|Charles||McGee||Black Parent Initiativefirstname.lastname@example.org|
Advocates College Dates and Times
Sessions will be held in Portland.
-Wednesday, September 3, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
-Thursday, September 4, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
-Wednesday, October 15, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
-Wednesday, November 12, 2014 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
-Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
-And either: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. or, Thursday, December 18, 2014 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Advocates College is lead by Neighborhood Partnerships the 25-year-old, 501(c)(3) nonprofit that's rethinking policies, programs and communications that support prosperity for all Oregonians. Neighborhood Partnerships has received 4 out of 4 stars from Charity Navigator for their excellence in program management.